GoogleTranslate and Dutch

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 12 22:33:23 UTC 2012

Since users of Google Translate are able to make modifications to it
with greater ease than they can to Wikipedia, if I find a translation
that I know to be incomplete or incorrect, I don't hesitate to take
steps.

Why complain? GT isn't the OED. It's meant to be only helpful, not definitive.

BTW, cross-referencing among translations into languages other than
English can be helpful, unless you're monolingual in English, as can
googling the word.

E.g., dekkids ago, I read in EBONY that _kurambo_ was the
Japanese-language equivalent of "nigger." Naturally, having grown up
in the United States, I had no reason to accept an assertion by some
random black dude about a language as exotic as Japanese as fact. Over
the years, I'd been unable to verify this in the usual lexical sources
or even on this listserv. When GT became available, it was no help.
So, I googled _kurambo_ and found out not only that this word is
indeed used to mean "nigger," but also that, in Japlish slang,
_(numba) ten_, in addition to meaning "the worst," means "Jew,"
punning on the fact that _ju_ [dZu:] is the Japanese word for "ten,"
in one of that language's counting systems. Back in the '60's, a white
acquaintance who'd been stationed in Japan in the Air Force told me
that this was the case, but, because of his own, over-the-top
anti-Semitism, I thought that he might well have just made that up
himself and then attributed it - or even taught it; youneverknow - to
the Japanese.

So, if you GT _kurambo_, you will now find "nigger" as a translation,
based on my research.

--
-Wilson
-----