dese, dem and dose

Ron butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 13 14:23:06 UTC 2012

Nussbaum is simply wrong. See, e.g, Paul Johnston's posts from Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The widespread use of affricates and even dental stops (and also labial stops) in place of the dental fricatives is well known in the sociolinguistic scholarship to be widespread in the US in both rural and urban US in both white and black populations. The idea that it started in any particular substratum and locale (e.g., Dutch settlers in what is now New York City) is absurd. As Johnston also notes, what Nussbaum calls "trouble with the th" would have been brought to the Americas by some English (and Irish) settlers. There is little doubt in my mind that language contact also caused such phonological interference and was widespread in the Americas, with one especially powerful force being African languages of slaves. But it is also clear that variable partial merger of "th" with other phonemes is a natural phenomenon in English, as is evident from child language acquisition problem!
 s.

Of course, if what Nussbaum means by "trouble" is 'stereotyping', then it is certainly true that New York in general and Brooklyn in particular has been stereotyped as a "dese" locale. But so also has been slave English, Caribbean English, and the speech of rural white southerners. And it is a variable phenomenon. Even Jackie Gleason's bus-driver character didn't say "pow, right in de kisser." I suppose Amos and Andy would have, though (and not because they had been infected with "th trouble" by Dutch guys in the barber shop.

Sent from my iPad