shell-bark (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Feb 13 15:22:47 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Andrew Jackson was called "Old Hickory" because he was tough (consider
his duel with Charles Dickinson, in which he stood still and took
Dickinson's shot, so that he was able to fire an aimed fatal shot back),
and hickory is a tough wood (try and chop it with an axe sometime).

Why wouldn't "shell bark" simply mean "tough"?

Behalf Of

------