origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 14 00:32:29 UTC 2012

At 2/13/2012 03:25 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I too was taught to say "Spuyten Duyvil" with /aI /, in NYC public
>school in the 1950s.
>
>I've never heard it pronounced any other way.

When I was a lad I lived and went to high school on one side of
Spuyten Duyvil* and then to my college's football games on the other
side.  (See the image from Inwood Hill park on Wikipedia for a clue
to the college.)

Without the benefit of knowledge of phonetic alphabets, I pronounced
and still pronounce Spuyten Duyvil as

spite-'n-dive'l.

Joel

* Meaning the creek, not some disputed neighborhood of Riverdale.