nyaa nyaa/ naa naa

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 14 17:22:56 UTC 2012

At 2/14/2012 11:54 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>My first encounter with either phrase was in a Peanuts cartoon of the
>late '50s. Linus tells the players something like, "The correct phrase
>is 'All, all who are out are in free!'!
>
>I'd revise that (too much education) to "All ye, all ye..." which was
>then shortened to "All ye, all ye out are in free!" and then "...All
>ye, all ye outs (are) in free!"

Essentially my hypothesis too.  "All ye out, in free", when the
phrase had become very slurred and the collective memory of its
meaning had faded, became "ollie oxen in free"  ("ollie ox'n free"
being to weird to survive).

My personal recollection of text and pronunciation is "ollie ollie in
free", which as soon as I learned about Ye Olde Shoppe made perfect
sense to me -- "all ye, all ye, in free" -- the Town Crier calling out.

Joel