"Bees' nest"?!!! WTF!!!

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 16 02:07:06 UTC 2012

I don't understand what the problem is. Why is it "bees' nest"  termed  "so-called"? What do you mean, "this kind of thing"? The use of "nest" instead of "hive"? There are over 3,500,000 Google hits for "hornet's nest."

Words do not have meanings that are discrete and insulated, There are fuzzy edges. Is a hive a nest? Is a magazine ever a book? How can we tell a glass from a cup? A chair from a stool? A game from a minor sport? A lexicographer from a prescriptivist nut?