Grammar Girl on backformed "verse"

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Feb 17 15:37:01 UTC 2012

Seems to me this topic has come up here before, but I don't see it in the archives. It's the backformation "verse" from "versus". Mignon Fogarty (Grammar Girl) has gathered some (self-selecting) speaker data and generated a map to go with this week's podcast, like she did with "needs done". She includes a Linguist List email from Ben, with a 1995 attestation, and a ~1980 recollection of the word: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/why-do-kids-say-versing.aspx

Here's one of the blog posts I did on the subject:
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2005/06/07/verses-vs-versus/

Neal