"Don't Say Gay"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 23:05:09 UTC 2012

Two comments--the second one first.

I fundamentally object to the use of "obviously" here. There is
absolutely (yes, I know, exaggeration) nothing obvious about it at all.
In normal scientific--and, especially, quasi-scientific--discourse, it
is common to see "obviously" and "obvious" and "clearly" as placeholders
for something like, "I have no idea how it actually works, but this is
the way, I think, things should be, so, if you have any questions or
objections, keep them to yourself." But maybe it's just MIT talking...

As for the other part, I am puzzled how someone who thinks dismissing
"folk taxonomy" is pedantic can simply dismiss a category of uses of
"question" as "issue", which is far more common (and accepted) than the
use of "bee" to mean "wasp". From my perspective, saying, "there is not
even a question here" in response to "this question has not been
resolved" is far more pedantic--and, in fact, unjustifiably so. Now, if
you were going for the "It's not even wrong" effect, you missed the
boat, but, at least, I can understand the attempt at humor.

But, thanks for playing "Who's the bigger pedant", Ron.

Entertaining, as always.

     VS-)