unwittingly

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 19 16:02:45 UTC 2012

I guessed right the first time, but it's a bad headline because I had
to guess. The specificity of "driver" seems to indicate that the
rescuer's earlier role is more significant than it is.

Victor's "unknowingly" would be better, but not quite good enough.

Perhaps you just can't be clear about the irony in six words. Unless
you leave out the eye-catching drowning angle: "Man Unknowingly Saves
Family Friend."

Maybe they should have stuck with the unambiguous subhead: "'God
Provides Everything,' Man Says."

Oops. Not news.

JL