youse as singular; also antedating OED (1893-)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 21 02:54:00 UTC 2012

Have you looked in Google Books?

A.  Youse:  I find "youse is" before 1910 on the first page of (251)
results in 1896 (a journal, but the date is plausible, since vol. 14
is 1901) and many books in the 1900s.  And there are earlier:

(1)  1887, Puck (New York), p. 192/2 -- "T'roth, Rosie Deasey, youse
is th' (hic-gl) foinest gurrul in th' War-r-d to be callin' on a
could night!"  [caption]

(2)  1888, "Andersonville violets: a story of northern and southern
life", Herbert W. Collingwood, p. 59 -- ""Ef youse is man 'nuff ter
kill dat dorg, you is all right, I reckon."  [Harvard catalog has an
1889 edition.]

B.  Yous:  There are also 112 instances of "yous is" before 1910.

(1)  One from 1854.  "Easy Nat; or, the Three Apprentices. A Tale of
Life in New York and Boston, but 'Adapted to any Meridien'", by A. L.
Stimson, page 267 --

"Yous is not the nice lady that blisse joutleman was to marry ?"
cried the woman ... "No, I was with Nathan Mudge.  My name was Kate Godwin."

This has 14 more pages with "yous" without the "is"; probably all for
a singular referent.

(2)  Another, from 1835 or 1836, is a plural -- "how do I know that
either of yous is Mr. Stinton".  The Dublin Penny Journal, 1835-6, p. 200/1-2.

These (A. and B.) antedate OED2 "yous, pron.", 1893--.

C.  Yehs:  Many (about 911) before 1899, but so many false positives
that I didn't go past the first 20 results.

P.S.  The two earliest quotations for "yous" in the OED in fact are
from S. Crane, 1893.

Joel