A mere legality

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Wed Feb 22 01:22:43 UTC 2012

Thanks...I _do_ understand the part about being "hung in chains."
Evidently, I misread the original example.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Baker, John
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:13 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: A mere legality

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
    American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Baker, John" <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM>
-------

Garner's Dictionary of Legal Usage (3d ed. 2011) says not; Bryan Garner
adheres to the prescriptivist view that criminals found guilty of
capital offenses are "hanged."  However, The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
of English Usage (1989) rejects this view and says that "hung" for
"hanged" is certainly not an error.

However, in the example that prompted the original comment, "was hung in
chains" referred to something that happened to the body after execution,
so "hung" would seem to have the better case.

John Baker