_The r-word_ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 23 17:38:50 UTC 2012

I don't think that's quite right, although there has been a definitive
decline in the use of "idiot". At some point, there must have been a
split between "savant" and "idiot-savant", with the latter implying a
certain degree of automaticity, and the former being the equivalent of
"genius" in doing something (e.g., playing a musical
instrument--"musical savant", etc.). These still are not equivalent, so
saying that one has been "replaced" by the other does not sound correct
to me. Now, if you said that there appears to have been a broadening
(merger?) of "savant" that incorporated what used to be under
"idiot-savant" because of the stigma attached to "idiot", I'd be
inclined to agree ;-) But looking at older texts (1900-1980) does not
tell me conclusively that "idiot-savant" was ever used pejoratively--in
fact, I can't recall a single instance of such use. So the change is
based more on popular misinterpretation of traditional nomenclature than
on any actual insults ever uttered.

     VS-)