lackadaisical -- affixal gags

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 1 01:35:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Geoffrey Nunberg
<nunberg at ischool.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> nother involves the same principle, I think.

For some speakers, no doubt. Possibly only for those who think that, e.g.

"Luke, I am your baby daddy"

is funny, despite the fact that _baby daddy_ can't possibly replace
_father_ in that context, OTOH [Early Cuyler, addressing his son's
girlfriend, the mother of Early's grandson],

"Little gal, why settle for the sequel, when you can have the prequel?
I'm your baby daddy daddy."

Now, that's the proper way to use this dialect construction for laughs.

--
-Wilson
-----