ambulette

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 5 04:51:35 UTC 2012

While on a bus in Queens, I noticed at least three different vans
labeled "Ambulette". From where I was sitting--standing, actually--all
three appeared to have been handicapped transportation services (that
is, transporting people in wheelchairs or those otherwise having limited
mobility). A quick OneLook check confirmed it, although only InfoPlease
and Dictionary.com had it and both got it from RH Unabridged. It does
not appear to be in the OED.

I am also not sure if the use might not be limited to the NYC metro
area. I have seen it used previously, although I could not pinpoint the
location. But it's not something that I've seen on regular basis in
other cities. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this...

     VS-)