This particular use of _in_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 5 19:29:34 UTC 2012

If you _stay in_ saying that this was a placebo effect, then I answer,
"I like this placebo!"

In BE, at least, it ain't nothing wrong with using _stay_ in the
meanings, "continue, keep, reside in, always be," and, perhaps, in
others. So,

"If you stay saying…"

perfectly okay. But,

"… stay _in_ saying …"?

Nokay.

The context is a discussion of two pieces of audiophile software - or
should that be, "two audiophile softwares"? - in which A writes that
he hears a distinction between the outputs of X and Y and that of X is
clearly superior. B writes that this erroneous opinion was merely the
"placebo effect" resulting from the fact that A had had to pay for X,
whereas Y is freeware.

(This extension of the meaning of "placebo effect" is, IMO, also interesting.)

--
-Wilson
-----