Japchae

Wed Jan 11 06:27:06 UTC 2012

This is a fascinating theory!

I have a vague impression that there is an increase in voiced English consonants, which I attribute to the adoption of the Revised Romanization of Korean in 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_romanization), but I have no real evidence of such a change.

In any case, this points to a point of origin for a spelling diffusion, which is surely a linguistic gem. It may cause an effect of pronunciation differentiation if Anglophones in the Beltway adopt a "ch" sound while those in other areas adopt a "j" sound.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA