Japchae

Wed Jan 11 19:10:29 UTC 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 11:27 PM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> On 1/11/2012 1:27 AM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>>
>> I have a vague impression that there is an increase in voiced English consonants, which I attribute to the adoption of the Revised Romanization of Korean in 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_romanization), but I have no real evidence of such a change.
>>

> I think the new Romanization may very well change the prevalence of
> [spelling] pronunciations in the US. [I've noticed the analogous trend
> in Chinese (hardly anyone was named "Zhang" /ZaN/ back in the day,
> right?), although I guess Gen. Tso seems immune so far.]
>
> I'm not sure I've ever myself seen a spelling with "j" on a menu, or
> heard a pronunciation with an obviously voiced initial consonant, but I
> might not have noticed.
>
> I think the most frequent spelling in my limited experience is
> "chapchae", which would be  a simplified McCune-Reischauer spelling I guess.
>
> Note however that my experience with chapchae is heavily weighted toward
> the Midwest (esp. Chicago area), 1971-1989. Now that I've thought of it,
> it's high time to go out for some Pittsburgh japchae/chapch'ae/whatever;
> I'll see what the menu says.
>
> Any analogous tendency for "kimchi"/"kimchee" to acquire a voiced
> initial ("gimchi") so far?

My guess is that kimchi is probably safely set in English. Using "gimchi" would just confuse people with no benefit to the writer. Nevertheless, Wikipedia claims it is used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi).

I became aware of the RR system when I started seeing Busan instead of Pusan.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA