Major Antedating of "Anti-Semitic"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jan 18 05:31:49 UTC 2012

This is a nice find. Carlyle had some very unpleasant things to say about the Jews (though Fred Kaplan says in his biography that he was no more capable of avoiding being "contaminated by some crude stereotypes" than contemporaries like Dickens, Tennyson, and Browning). But this passage seems to show pretty conclusively that his "anti-Semitic" didn't mean what the term later would, so I don't think one can claim that this usage is a true antedate of the modern use of the term, particularly since it's purely compositional.

Geoff