cattery (also: "under foot")

Wed Jan 18 17:07:30 UTC 2012

GAT wrote "There may be a distinction in current use between a cattery and
a breeder, in that only a breeder would be able to give a certificate that
the parents of the kitten were pure-bred and registered and that their
nuptials were properly conducted.  A cattery won't give this certificate
and without one the kitten will not be accepted by the Cat Lovers' Vatican
as an authentic representative of the breed."

Further adventures among the catteries shows that this idea is wrong.  A
cattery is so called to distinguish it from a doggery, which isn't so
called.  Certificates of the kitten's purity of birth are provided when a
certificate is received from a vet that the kitten has been altered.

Meanwhile, it seems that a term of art among managers of catteries is
"under foot".  They assert either on their website or in correspondence
with me that their kittens are raised "under foot", meaning that they are
not kept in cages but are free to roam the house.  Saying raised "on the
floor" might be a better way to express the idea, but anyway.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.