Quote: The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 19 17:00:36 UTC 2012

Garson, since the 1946 quotation appeared in an American publication,
presumably by an American author, my impression is that an "archetypal
Scotsman" was intended rather than the paper of that name, with which
few Americans would have been familiar.

Perhaps more weight should go to the question of whether such an
assertion would have been "characteristic" of _The Scotsman_ (or might
have been thought to be).

My guess is it wouldn't.

JL