Churchill?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Jan 20 12:19:17 UTC 2012

Related, though not Churchill:

Noel Coward, of course, had his expected joke about ocean travel....A friend heard he was sailing, not flying, supposed he would sail on the Queen; not at all, Sir Noel bantered, and named a foreign line he was about to take; why, asked his friend, and Sir Noel, in famed Cowardly fashion, explained "None of that nonsense about women and children first."

I Luxury Liner You Ye Going! .
‎Sarasota Journal - Aug 5, 1971

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YvgeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DI0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5069,773928&dq=nonsense-about-women-and-children-first&hl=en
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of David A. Daniel [dad at POKERWIZ.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:57 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Churchill?

This has been circulating ever since the accident. Any chance it was really
Churchill? If not, anyone know who it really was?

"A friend reminded me of a comment made by Winston Churchill.
After his retirement he was cruising the Mediterranean on an Italian cruise
liner and some Italian journalists asked why an ex British Prime Minister
would choose an Italian ship.
'There are three things I like about being on an Italian cruise ship,' said
Churchill.
'First, their cuisine is unsurpassed.
Second, their service is superb.
And then, in case of an emergency, there is none of this nonsense about
women and children first.'"

DAD