rebel yell and yeehaw

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 21 21:35:48 UTC 2012

The issue isn't whether Pvt. John "Yeehaw" Smith or someone else, less
imaginary, yelled "Yeehaw!" throughout the Civil War. We have no
evidence he did.

The issue is whether all/most/many/ a pretty fair number of
Confederate soldiers realized a/the "rebel yell" by screaming
"Yeehaw!"

There is no evidence at all for that, even if American folklore of the
past thirty or forty years demands otherwise.

If "yeehaw!" was stereotypically a donkey sound like "heehaw!" in the
19th C., the likelihood becomes even slimmer.

JL