rebel yell and yeehaw

Sun Jan 22 01:29:15 UTC 2012

Below is the description published in 1866 of a rebel yell from the
perspective of a member of the opposing forces.

Title: Life in the army: in the departments of Virginia, and the Gulf, ...
Year: 1866
Author: J. Chandler Gregg
http://books.google.com/books?id=M4y_uRmDyI8C&q=fiendish#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
I was near enough at times to the rebel lines during these three
terrible days, to hear their unearthly, fiendish yell, such as no
other troops or civilized beings ever uttered. It was not a hearty
cheer, or hurrah, or roar, but a kind of shriek as dissonant as the
"Indian war-whoop," and more terrible
[End excerpt]

Jonathan summarized other descriptions in a message to the list in
December 2006.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;Ppldbg;200612041354550800A

The growth of the full-text databases might allow the construction of
a more comprehensive set of descriptions. There may have been multiple
rebel yells, and they may have changed over time.