NY accent is dying out?

Sun Jan 22 19:10:38 UTC 2012

When journalists say such-and-such a dialect is dying out, usually it seems to me that what they're saying is that some (often unspecified) features are receding, but the features that are retained are ignored.  Sure, there are recessive features (the famous [@i] for bird, third, church for one--and does anyone know who, if anyone, uses it among the generation born about 1980 or so?).  Rhoticity is becoming more common.  But last time I was in NYC (2009), you still heard people, even young ones, asking for a cup of [kU at fi~ko at fi).

[po at l] Johnston