Nominations for 2011 Word of the Year

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 23 14:31:06 UTC 2012

Ben,

How in the world did "surge" not only not win but not even get
nominated?  Or perhaps you-all were waiting for the greater number of
Republican primaries and polls in 2012?  But if so, you may have
missed the crest -- I think each of the candidates has already had
his or her cresting, and we are now (to mix a metaphor) coming to the
neap times.

Saturday the Boston Globe had "surge" in the first paragraph of its
lead article, and Sunday the New York Times had "surge" in the
subhead of its lead article.

Joel