OT: How come WE don't get on-line libraries like this?

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jan 24 13:54:06 UTC 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> I was purposely aiming only for truthiness. Besides, what was supposed
> to catch your attention was the existence of the Digital Library of
> Sardinia, a backwater region of Italy, ...

yes, a region of Italy, but also an island (a big island) considerably removed from the mainland -- close to the French island of Corsica, but geographically remote from the rest of Italy.  also the home of the Romance language Sardinian (as well as the national language Italian).  it's one of the five regions (of 20) with autonomous status -- essentially home rule -- because of their linguistic and cultural differences; all five are off on the edges of the country (three in the far north, Sicily in the far south, Sardinia in the far west).

so it's not surprising that the regional government supports indigenous cultural resources like the Sardinian Digital Library.  (compare, say, the Welsh Folk Museum, the Geriadur Prifysgol Cymru (Dictionary of the Welsh Language), the Scottish National Dictionary, etc.)

arnold