Heard on "1000 Ways to Die":

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 18:34:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
> AmE PST for PSP has been voluminously commented on, from Mencken on (and surely before).

Those of a certain age may recall the song, "Sincerely," by -
originally - the R&B group, The Moonglows. IAC, before "Sincerely"
crossed over, the Moonglows' first, in-group hit was the song, "I Was
Wrong." This work contains the verse.

The wine
That I drank
It must have
_Went_ to my head

For its time, this was the equivalent of the instance from last night:
Well, of course, that's the way we talk, but there's no point in going
*public" with it! Why wasn't that "corrected"? This is not a blues
song!

As far as Mencken et al., their attitude was entirely proper!

The whiye man, as the natural custodian of the language, must hold
himself to a higher standard!

--
-Wilson
-----