3D sickness, cybersickness, VR sickness, simulator sickness

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 30 01:19:12 UTC 2012

Interesting.  My wife has a condition called BPPV, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, and when we went to see Hugo we were worried she might not be able to manage the experience.  But her only real problem was with the 3D action movies that were being previewed (interminably, it seemed), everything from a Star Wars 3D remake to a Titanic 3D remake to some new movies, none of which seemed like they'd be a major sacrifice to give up.  She deliberately avoided Avatar when that came out, but Hugo turned out not to pose any real problems, and she felt it was definitely worth seeing, 3D and all.  So at least for some people with some forms of vertigo, this 3D sickness isn't brought on automatically by watching movies that use the technology, but depends on how they use it.  (We did notice that taking off the glasses and watching doesn't work.  And yes, I know Hugo was released in 2D versions too, but it would be a shame to miss the full experience, assuming it doesn't make you !
 sick.)

LH