"device" in Spam subject line

Mon Jul 2 21:06:47 UTC 2012

The organization sending the spam was likely trying to evade spam
filters. One technique for blocking spam involves checking for key
words like "penis" and "phallus". So the spammers did not want to use
a trigger phrase like "long penis". They resorted to the odd, probably
rare, yet decodable, phrase "long device" because of evolutionary
pressures, i.e., the pressures manifested in the multi-year
co-evolutionary struggle between spam and spam-filters. That's my
guess.