"tax" or "penalty"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 3 20:31:09 UTC 2012

It isn't exactly a tax and it isn't exactly a penalty. That's the point. To
say, as the Court did, that it's Constitutional under the taxing power of
Congress, isn't quite the same as saying it's a tax precisely like other
taxes. It's saying that it's more like a traditional tax levied by Congress
through the IRS than it is a innovative penalty imposed under the commerce
clause. Those were the choices.

The semantic issue isn't whether the individual mandate is good or whether
it will work or anything else. The issue is that to label it as simply a
"tax" *or* a "penalty" is to cram it unreasonably into a prefab category
that will not fir precisely. That is an elementary freshman-level error in
reasoning.

Like every other 5-4 SCOTUS opinion, a different court might have decided
differently.  A law isn't deemed Constutional because the Court's had a
Revelation from the Realm of Pure Forms; it's Constitutional because
a majority of nine of the presumably sharpest legal minds available have so
decided, based on their professional expertise and interpretation of the
arguments. Constitutional is as Constitutional does.

To think otherwise is to indulge in another freshman-level error, except
this time in the realm political science. The media and the
pols encourage these errors on the KISS principle, the bedrock of all
politics and journalism.

JL