reductionism gone wild

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 4 12:36:47 UTC 2012

Llast night on the PBS show _England_ Michael Wood observed breathlessly
that we "still speak" Old English, "with a few foreign words more or less!
... 'One small step for man, one great [sic] leap for mankind.' Each of
these words is Anglo-Saxon!"

Then came a few lines from the OE dialogue (called here an "interview with
a farmer") in which the husbandman is addressed as "eorthling."

"Earthling!" Wood exclaims. "It's like _Star Trek_!"

OK, right, it's just a show. Current English comes from Old English. I
should calm down.

JL