_"Pussi" naiznanku_ ["_Pussy_ Inside Out"]

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 5 05:43:13 UTC 2012

Several TV shows have been letting curses in languages other than
English slip through with no attempt to cover it up. FCC does not seem
to care--of course, they don't have the power to regulate cable TV shows
the same way as broadcast shows.

One of the most notorious shows of this kind has been Burn Notice that
airs originally on (NBC's) USA Network. But there is a twist--the show
is also in syndication and airs on broadcast channels as well. I have
not had the opportunity to review the syndicated broadcasts, but, I
suspect, they air unedited. Best I can tell, the vulgarities are
unimpeded in Russian and Spanish. English is tempered somewhat, but
dialogue includes "shit" and "bitch" with some regularity, so I am
wondering if that gets excised in syndication while the Spanish and
Russian remain untouched. I have very limited knowledge of expletives in
languages other than Russian and English, but I can spot some Spanish
and French ones that would not survive the censors if they were in
English. I've heard some shows use French expression to get around the
censorship issue, although that's usually limited to "merde". You can
also occasionally hear "Scheiss" or "Scheisse" (even in otherwise
heavily censored TV versions of Die Hard I and II). I can't point to any
specific instances with any certainty as I have not been keeping track
of it before. If I notice further use, I'll note it here.

VS-)