Hyperlocal

Fri Jul 6 08:22:17 UTC 2012

Here is a cite in 1989 for "hyperlocal news". There are some
interesting matches for the hyphenated term "hyper-local", But this
cite was the earliest for "hyperlocal news" or "hyper-local news" in a
quick search.

Date: 1989 September 5
Newspaper: The Washington Post
Title: Behind the Smoke And Morals
Author: Charles Trueheart
Page: c07
Database: ProQuest

[Begin excerpt]
"The key to small-market news is understanding the power of kinetic
energy," the Toledo news director tells Robins. "It's all here-we-go
rock 'n' roll."
Not so the so-called "hyperlocal" news that's springing up on cable in
tiny markets of 50,000 or less. On these broadcasts of community
spelling bees, high school basketball games and sewer board meetings,
the production values may be more primitive, but their popularity and
effectiveness for advertisers are changing the landscape of local
news.
[End excerpt]

Here is a cite in 1921 for "hyperlocal politics".