"sweet patootie" slightly antedated to Apr. 13, 1918

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 8 18:29:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> a very strange usage

Apparently, this is Stephen's day for finding such! ;-)

Some may recall that I promised an essay on the meaning-shifts that
have been and are taking place in borrowings from Black English to
White English like _fuck over_ et al. I've decided not to bother.
There's no point. Who expects that any words will retain a particular
meaning or form, over time and across (sub)cultures? Who cares that
the standard form of _hula_ was once _hula-hula_? I've found people
who refuse to believe that "carib-BEE-an" was ever the "right"
prunciation of "Caribbean." ("You're just making that up!")

Just the other day, I came across a photo of a dried-out riverbed
captioned as that of a dried-out river*bank*!

Feh.

--
-Wilson
-----