LINGUIST List 23.2947: Books: The Language in Science Fiction and Fantasy: Mandala (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jul 9 17:28:48 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It would be very difficult to demonstrate the truth or falseness of these two assertions.  There are works with plain prose, and works with florid prose.  (I would say that her first issue is backwards -- to me, the stereotype of SF/F language is that it is overwritten.  Consider Lovecraft, Robert E Howard, typical pulp writing, Tom Swifties, etc. -- not noted for "plain language".  One of the reasons that Robert Heinlein made such an impact was his naturalistic style of writing.  But he was the outlier, not the standard.)  There are flat characters, and there are three-dimensional characters.

For every example the author offered to support her thesis, it would be trivial to offer a counter-example.