white turkey (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 14 20:55:11 UTC 2012

My initial suspicion was that it does not refer to "meat" at all, but
the bleached turkey byproducts that are processed like pink slime. The
slimy consistency and the gelatin that autoextrudes from packaged turkey
products suggest that the "meat" undergoes a lot of processing and has
other parts of the bird re-added, not to mention various tenderizers and
preservatives. The customer service response is only mildly reassuring
that these "byproducts" come only from the breast region of turkey and
not, say, giblets. This still does not mean that skin and cartilage are
excluded. It also remains silent on what exactly is done to these bits
before they go into the "turkey breast". Note that the texture of
supermarket deli turkey is considerably different from prepackaged
turkey cold cuts, although it is also not quite like a domestically
prepared bird.

     VS-)

On 7/14/2012 12:54 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if it meant dark turkey meat that had been
> bleached as part of the processing.

 rts of chicken breast and have no connection to wings