Zinger: My dear, the final 't' is silent as in Harlow (1945)

Sun Jul 15 01:45:10 UTC 2012

Sam Clements wrote:
> If it's of any help, it was in the Holmes-Einstein Letters.
> They corresponded until 1935.  I was searching for it
> using Google books, got lucky by spending hours
> tweaking things, and had the book in my local Akron
> Univ. library.  Went up, read it, and the rest was history.
>  Nothing one could do by searching/reading online.

Sam: Great thanks for the further information about your discovery.
Google Books has a copy of "The Holmes-Einstein letters" that it
claims is in snippet mode, but all searches within the book find
nothing. So GB is malfunctioning which is unfortunately a common
occurrence.

I searched in HathiTrust which has the book in its database and found
multiple matches for "Harlow" and "Asquith" within the book. The most
interesting matches are the following:

harlow AND margot AND silent matched 1 page in this item.
    p.359 - 3 matching terms
harlot matched 1 page in this item.
    p.360 - 1 matching term

"The Holmes-Einstein letters" are available in a library that I will
be visiting in the coming weeks, and I will try to examine it.  If I
write something for the Quote Investigator blog based on your very
valuable lead then I will of course credit you with the discovery.

This is the bibliographic data from HathiTrust:
Title: The Holmes-Einstein letters : correspondence of Mr. Justice
Holmes and Lewis Einstein, 1903-1935
Editor: James Bishop Peabody.