Fun with phrases: "in a previous life"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 16 17:28:42 UTC 2012

The expression "that's another life" is quite common in reference to an
earlier stage in one's life, usually characterized by a different
location, profession or employment, but occasionally also referring to
just earlier stages, such college or school years, or periods marked by
a cataclysmic event, such as a family member's death, divorce, etc.

Eleanor Rosch used to refer to earlier stages in her career as "previous
lives", as the directions of her research changed rather drastically
between those stages. This is particularly ironic, given her 1990s stage
that involved a Buddhist take on cognitive science.

     VS-)