mediots and preglimony

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 17 23:45:18 UTC 2012

On 7/17/12 11:51 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
> on my blog:
> http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/more-dubious-portmanteaus/

I tried to post the following as a comment on the blog, and was asked to
login with a user name that I don't recognize, which is apparently
associated with my panix email address, so I'll post it here:

The term ”mediots” long predates Tim Tebow. It was regularly used on
rec.sports.baseball and the team-specific newsgroups in the alt.
hierarchy back in the late 90s. A quick Google group search on the term
”mediot” finds a clear instance from 1993 in talk.bizarre:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/talk.bizarre/S9HumxiRe6k,
a post entitled ”Mediocy at the All-star game”.