top and tail

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 18 13:37:22 UTC 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 1:29 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> I came across instructions to "top and tail" a fennel bulb in the London
> edition of Flavour magazine (Feb 2012). Although the instructions are
> obvious to a cook/chef, they are not transparent. On the other hand, the
> semantics follows such verbs as shell, seed, core, bone, etc. I got
> curious as to how "top and tail" is generally interpreted.
>
> Of course, there are two classes of definitions--nouns and verbs. The
> reason I am saying that there are two classes is because the two sets
> are actually disconnected.
>
> My initial thought was that the expression applies to carrots and
> parsnips. But the most common use is apparently with green beans (who
> knew!).

I've used it that way since I've been doing it, for decades.  I used the conjoined verb phrase only when the object is green beans (string beans in my native dialect) or sometimes pea pods (sugar snap peas or Chinese pea pods), even though in the latter case I don't strictly top and tail the pea pods; I top and string them.

LH