"Monday" as racial slur

Thu Jul 19 15:20:58 UTC 2012

In the past we've discussed "Canadian" as a peculiar code-word for black people,
in use among restaurant servers (based apparently on the stereotype of both
Canadians and blacks being bad tippers):

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0801D&L=ADS-L&P=R14856

Now we have "Monday" being identified as a racial slur, with Urban Dictionary
and other sources explaining the rationale for the code: "Everybody hates
Mondays." This has become an issue in the baseball world, since a police
officer is said to have yelled "Monday" at Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford
before a minor-league game in New Hampshire:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120719/NEWS/107199787/0/NEWS03
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8177081/massachusetts-police-officer-punished-directing-racial-slur-boston-red-sox-carl-crawford

One of the UD entries says the "Monday" slur originated in Boston. Anyone have
any further information on this, regional or otherwise?

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/