yeah, no

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 20 17:54:27 UTC 2012

On Jul 20, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> Who was the philosopher who, responding to a lecturer who declared that two negatives can signify a positive but two positives can never import a negative, muttered, "Yeah, yeah"?
>
> (I just checked my YBQ; it was Sidney Morgenbesser.)
>
> --Charlie

Actually, as far as I know, this has not actually been attested.  I once attributed the anecdote to Morgenbesser, and others "corrected" me, citing Saul Kripke or someone else (and the remark as either "yeah, yeah" or "yeah, right"), but when I tried tracking it down I found it all cites to be apocryphal or at best uncertain.  Does Fred have an actual cite for Morgenbesser?  (It's been claimed, e.g. in a NYT Magazine article some time ago, that Morgenbesser was especially adept at precisely this kind of comeback but that doesn't prove he actually came up with it on a particular occasion.)

LH