A cop-opera meme (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jul 20 21:03:59 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

You don't have to be that old.  20 years ago, I used to run around with a guy who drove a Jeep Grand Wagoneer (mid- to large SUV).  We'd be tooling along, and he'd see a pedestrian on the side of the road.  As we approached, he'd downshift and back off the gas, and it would backfire.  The hope was that the pedestrian would jump.

He stopped doing it after the time the backfire blew off his muffler/catalytic converter assembly, and he had to pick it up off the street and load it into the back.