"yeah, yeah" again (another version)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 21 20:54:34 UTC 2012

Some might argue that three positives become a positive again:

"She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah,
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..."

In my experience, however, "Yeah, yeah, yeah!" is just as likely to be
negative, or at least sarcastic:

Mom: "How many times have I told you to clean up your room?"

Pre-teen: "Yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Perhaps the song is bitterly ironic. Surely the unresolvable tension
between the two equally privileged interpretations lay behind its great
popularity in the confrontational days of the so-called "Cold War."

JL