a construction that could use (to be) studied

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 23 04:39:49 UTC 2012

Sorry I missed (or rather forgot) that posting, Doug.  Great minds etc., but yours got there first.  (Still, it was nice to stumble on one in the wild, and not from Craigslist like so many of the online ones.)  Of course "I could use to take a break" is different from both the passive versions:  "He could use to be hosed down" and "It could use cleaned".  The last one is the only one of these I'd wager to be Pittsburgh/Midland, on the basis of "needs/wants washed".

LH