more on "Monday"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Jul 23 14:08:54 UTC 2012

Ben,

I'm glad you picked up on this news story, because it had me scratching
my head when I read about it in the T&G: I have never heard the term in
the wild, but I lead a pretty sheltered life. A T & G columnist had a
column about it today -- dunno if it will be helpful: it starts off with
a source/quote I haven't seen come by before.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120723/COLUMN44/107239890

(There's a philosophical question here: if someone calls you a name and
you *don't know* that it's derogatory, are you still insulted? Or the
inverse: if you use a term ignorantly and *don't know* that it's
insulting, are you guilty of "hate speech"?)

---Amy West