long + past tense

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 24 00:22:12 UTC 2012

And, hey, in more than one online review of _Red Tails_, the
grad-school-level journalists refer to WWII fighter pilots, while flying,
as "soldiers." Period.

Not "fliers," not "pilots," not "airmen." "Soldiers."

While this was technically true for Army Air Force fliers, it's one of
those technicalities that has almost no bearing on ordinary
discourse. Somebody flying a plane is a "flier."

JL