Inspirational Passage: Just for Today (1921; different passage 1880)

Wed Jul 25 22:22:12 UTC 2012

I have been asked to trace a popular short inspirational text titled
"Just for Today". The work begins:

[Begin excerpt]
Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not
tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours
that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a
lifetime.
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to an instance on the website of an organization for
"families and friends of alcoholics". This instance is credited to
Kenneth L. Holmes. Many instances are available online and the
attributions vary.

http://www.nhal-anon.org/Just4Today.html

A version of this piece was printed in "How to Stop Worrying and Start
Living" by Dale Carnegie which was first published in 1948.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Stop_Worrying_and_Start_Living

Carnegie credited the words to Sibyl F. Partridge, but I think this is
incorrect. There is a different 1880 work that is called "Just for
Today" that has been connected to Partridge. Some details are given
further below.

The earliest instance of closely matching text I have located is dated
1921. The writer was Frank Crane. I would welcome earlier examples of
similar text.

Cite: 1921 May 29, Boston Globe, DR CRANE SAYS: Just for Today by
Frank Crane, Page E4, Boston, Massachusetts. (ProQuest)

[Begin excerpt]

Just for Today

Here are ten resolutions to make when you awake in the morning.

They are Just for One Day. Think of them not as a life task but as a day's work.

These things will give you pleasure. Yet they require will power. You
don't need resolutions to do what is easy.

1. Just for Today, I will try to live through this day only, and not
tackle my whole life-problem at once. I can do some things for twelve
hours that would appall me if I felt I had to keep them up for a
lifetime.

2. Just for Today, I will be Happy. This assumes that what Abraham
Lincoln said is true, that "most folks are about as happy as they make
up their minds to be." Happiness is from Within; it is not a matter of
Externals.

3. Just for Today, I will Adjust myself to what Is, and not try to
Adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my
business, and my luck as they come, and fit myself to them.

4. Just for Today, I will take care of my Body. I will exercise it,
care for it, and nourish it, and not abuse it nor neglect it;  so that
it will be a perfect machine for my will.

5. Just for Today, I will try to strengthen my mind, I will study. I
will learn something useful, I will not be a mental loafer all day. I
will read something that requires effort, though and concentration.

6. Just for Today, I will exercise my Soul. In three ways, to wit:
(a) I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. If anybody
knows of it, it will not count.
 (b) I will do at least two things I don't want to do, as William
James suggests just for exercise.
(c) I will not show any one that my feelings are hurt. They may be
hurt, but Today I will not show it.

7. Just for To-day, I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can,
dress as becomingly as possible,  talk low,  act courteously, be
liberal with flattery, criticize not one bit  nor find fault
withanything, and not try to regulate nor improve anybody.

8. Just for Today, I will have a Programme. I will write down just
what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I'll
have it. It will save me from the two pests Hurry and Indecision.

9. Just for Today, I will have a quiet half hour, all by myself, and
relax. During this half hour, some time, I will think of God, so as to
get a little more perspective to my life.

10. Just for Today, I will be Unafraid. Especially I will not be
afraid to be Happy, to enjoy what is Beautiful, to love and to believe
that those I love love me.

(Copyright, 1921 by Frank Crane)

[End excerpt]

Text that closely matched the passage above was published in the
Christian Science Monitor in 1932. Frank Crane's name was not
mentioned. Instead, the words were attributed to Hugh Barret Dobbs.

Cite: 1932 July 20, Christian Science Monitor, Section: Daily
Features, For the Scrapbook: Just for Today by Hugh Barret Dobbs, Page
11, Column 6, Boston, Massachusetts. (ProQuest)

There appears to be some confusion with a different earlier work
containing the recurring line "Just for to-day". The instance below in
1880 ends with the identifier "S. M. X." These initials apparently
refer to Sister Mary Xavier and this name apparently refers to Sybil
Farish Partridge. (I have not tried to gather evidence about these
identity claims yet.)

Earlier examples of similar text would be welcome.

Cite: 1880 January, The Messenger of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Organ
of The Apostleship Of Prayer, Volume 7, To-day, Quote Page 20, Burns
and Oates, London. (Google Books full view)

To=Day.

Dignare, Domine, die isto, sine peccato nos custodire.

Lord, for to-morrow and its needs
   I do not pray;
Keep me, my God, from stain of sin,
   Just for to-day