"[T]he whole nine-yards" (July, 1956)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 26 15:44:59 UTC 2012

If the hyphen means anything, presumably it is that the writer regarded the
expression as already familiar enough for the phrase to be considered to
be a unit.

The lack of quotation marks also suggests a lack of perceived novelty.

JL