"[T]he whole nine-yards" (July, 1956)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 26 21:27:59 UTC 2012

That is true, in the abstract. But we are clearly talking about a
limited list here and for academic research. Sharing is not the same as
publishing. And even if publishing, it still may be fair use, but it
becomes much trickier. Still, considering that the purpose of the
reproduction has nothing to do with commercial distribution of the
material in question and is limited to a very small portion of the text,
no honest lawyer would recommend to the publisher to file a complaint.
My point remains that the request should be filed for a publication as a
matter of courtesy, but it's silly to worry about permissions when
sharing with a handful of academic colleagues. This is not Kinko's case.

     VS-)